PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

710 Palo Alto Avenue / 101 Middlefield Road

inventory photo 710
Inventory photo Photo taken May 8, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This structure represents an inventive interpretation of the Mission revival style, with much of its original planting extant.

Significance:  This structure presents a free-wheeling adaptation of scroll-parapeted Mission Revival design on a large corner lot. Grounds and plantings are important to the general atmosphere. The builder has not been positively identified; however, George W. Mosher is the only contractor known to have worked in the same mode at the time (see 1055 Cowper, 215 Fulton, 225 Fulton, and 575 Hawthorne).

The house was built for Dr. E. C. Zickendrath, a veterinarian from Germany. He occupied it until 1946. From 1948–1958 it was occupied by Edward G. Perkins, and thenceforth by short-term tenants to 1985, when it was acquired by Stephen and Jacquelin Osborn.

 

710 side
side window
apartment side
apartment map
710 B Palo Alto Location map

This house was built in 1913 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder might have been George W. Mosher. The property measures 166 by 144 feet.

Sources: No resources are listed

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.