PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

225 Fulton Street

inventory photo 225
Inventory photo Photo taken May 6, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This fine one-story stucco Mission Revival design was originally identical to 215 Fulton. the entry porch has been enclosed and a canopy added. The buildings at 379 Lytton (demolished) and 575 Hawthorne are very similar.

Significance:  One of four virtually identical Mission Revival houses built in 1908/09. That at 575 Hawthorne is credited by the Palo Alto times to G. W. Mosher; it thus seems most probably that he built the others, as well. However, a present-day source attributes it to the original builder and owner of 222 Byron street, who was a carpenter and dairyman, J. W. Howard; his cottage was built in the same year as the house at 225 Fulton.

The house was commissioned by Robert S. Thomas (see 215 Fulton). From 1909 to 1917 it was the residence of Daniel W. and Eunice H. Folger. The Folgers came to San Francisco soon after the Gold Rush. There he developed a successful career in business and finance. they went back to San Francisco in 1918, but Mrs. Folger returned to Palo Alto after his death in 1929.

Following the Folgers, J. W. and Margaret E. Richardson occupied the house for 35 years. Richardson was a retired Army  Captain, a veteran of the Spanish-American War and World War I.

Mrs. Lucille Andries was the owner from 1955 to 1966; Ivo J. Andries was the owner of the Mode O'Day shop in Palo alto. It was occupied by George and Valentine Chory from 1967.

 

225 map

This house was built in 1908 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was George W. Mosher ( and/or J. W. Howard?). The property measures 72 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/3/08, 3/18/08, 3/26/08, 12/24/08, 1/29/09, 2/3/13, 3/14/27, 12/19/39, 12/12/48; interview 1984, George Chory

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.