PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

215 Fulton Street

inventory photo 215
Inventory photo Photo taken May 20, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This stucco one-story symmetrical house with scrolled parapet gable and quatrefoil windows is identical to 225 Fulton and to several other examples of Mission Revival style in Palo Alto, notable at 575 Hawthorne Avenue.

Significance:  One of four virtually identical Mission Revival houses built in 1908 – 1909 (the others are at 379 Lytton [demolished], 225 Fulton, and 575 Hawthorne. That at 575 Hawthorne is credited by the Palo Alto Times to G. W. Mosher; it thus seems most probable that he built the others as well. However, a present-day [1978] source attributes it to th original builder and owner of 222 Byron Street, who was a carpenter and dairyman, J. w. Howard; his cottage was built in the same year as the houses at 215 and 225 Fulton.

The house was built for Robert S. Thomas, a native of Wales who came to the city in 1892 and lived in the house for two years. The occupants of longest tenure were Willis F. and Rose Brink (1942 – 1972). Katherine M. Jacomb was the owner/resident when the Inventory was made.

 

door map

This house was built in 1908 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was G. W. Mosher. The property measures 75 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/24/06, 1/3/08, 3/18/08, 3/26/08, 2/3/13, 9/10/51; interview 1984, George Chory

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.