PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

575 Hawthorne Avenue

inventory photo street view
Inventory photo Photo taken July 10, 2009

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  This one-story symmetrical Mission Revival design has miniature corner pavilions in the form of square corner bays and three quatrefoil windows of great elegance. The recessed entrance porch has been filled in to create an additional room. The design is one which was repeated many times in Palo Alto, which indicates it is a plan book design or that one builder was responsible for all of them.  

Significance:  This is an elegant example of the style, important in terms of urban design due to the frequency of its appearance in the city. It was built for H. P. Harrison, and through the years was occupied by a long series of tenants, none of who stayed for more that one to four years.

Almost identical houses are at 379 Lytton [demolished] and 215 and 225 Fulton. All were built in 1908–1909. The building is architecturally superior to anything else in its immediate neighborhood, which is visually unified not by its rather miscellaneous architectural examples, but by the mature, handsome, and consistent street planting.

Note: 2017, an addition is nearing completion.

575 detail
map  
Location map

This house was built in 1908 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was George Mosher. The property measures 55 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/18/08, 3/26/08 (permit in April, 1908), 12/24/08

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.