Palo Alto Stanford Heritage
|Home||Architects & Builders||Holiday House Tour||Newsletters||Walking Tours|
|About PAST||Centennial Houses||INVENTORY||Preservation Awards||Contact PAST|
|Advocacy||History and Architecture Articles||Master Index to Houses||Resources|
|Photo taken in 1978.||Photo taken in 2014.|
The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:
The formal residence is a large, handsomely–proportioned Tudor Revival structure with half–timbering and carefully–crafted detailing. A gable supported by square bracketed columns forms a dramatic entry in the particularly well–composed southwest elevation. the grounds at the front and sides were enclosed with brick and iron fencing and re–landscaped in 1983; at the same time, the space to the west was split away for new construction.
A finely executed example of Tudor Revival design built for William E. and Adelaide Dingley Palmer. Palmer was a San Francisco industrialist, whose father's and grandfather's connections with California manufacturing stretch back to the Golden State Iron Works of the 1850s.
The Palmers occupied the residence until 1943, succeeded (1944–1952) by C. E. Gray, School of Business Professor Frank K. Shallenberger (1953–1958), Stewart M. and Elizabeth Jones (1959–1966) and Robert and Harriet Pappas (1968–1979). The next owners were A. S. and Naheed Quereshi.
The house is currently (August, 2015) being renovated.
This house was built in 1917 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. Charles Hodges was the architect for the main structure and Charles K. Sumner for the music room. Val Franz of San Francisco was the builder for the main structure.
E-mail us at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.
Copyright © 2015 Palo Alto Stanford Heritage. All rights reserved.