Palo Alto Stanford Heritage
|Home||Architects & Builders||Holiday House Tour||Newsletters||Walking Tours|
|About PAST||Centennial Houses||Inventory||Preservation Awards||Contact PAST|
|Advocacy||History and Architecture Articles||Master Index to Houses||Resources|
Demolition of one of two Eichler commercial buildings at Edgewood Plaza was announced in the Palo Alto Weekly. Read more.
The 2011 razing of a 1920's house at 405 Lincoln and replacement with a very contemporary dwelling was the force behind the creation of a Professorville Design Guideline Committee. With few exceptions, most owners in the Professorville Historic District have chosen to maintain their contributing houses or to rebuild in styles that are compatible with existing homes. There are many neighborhoods which have either always been eclectic, Downtown North, for example, or have been so altered in the last building boom as to have lost much of their original character (many parts of Old Palo Alto, or College Terrace, for instance). PAST questions whether it is appropriate to place such an avant-garde structure in a neighborhood that is so proud of its origins and respectful of its cohesiveness.
Demolished April, 2011
Juana Briones House
The 1844 Juana Briones house is no more. It was listed in 2010 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of the 11 Most Endangered Historic Places. The September/October 2011 issue of Preservation magazine includes a picture of the historic home with its long porch overlooking the original acerage. The Deconstruction was completed and auctioned on June 29. The Friends of Juana Briones and PAST were able to purchase one of the two sections of the oldest walls that were preserved. Thanks to all who stepped in to accomplish this last minute effort. The City of Palo Alto has committed to providing safe storage until it is unveiled as a proper monument to Juana's Casa. See some of the last photos taken of this historic house!
318 Middlefield Road
Most of the original homes built in Palo Alto have been lost, but luckily, the families of some owners saved pictures of their houses for futures generations. Read about this one at 318 Middlefield Road.
In 2010, the house at 171 Everett Avenue was on the list to receive a centennial plaque. . . (still under construction in June 2010).
This small house at the corner of Ruthven and Cowper is gone.
January is not a slow time for demolitions. While the next home is not historic, this Stern and Price home is very representative of tract housing of the 1950s. Built in 1952, it served its residents well until January 2010. Some cosmetic up–grades have been made in recent years, but the original built-in ironing board was still there! It was surprising to see how much effort went into leveling this house. Another similar house, but enlarged, on East Meadow was demolished at the end of December, 2009.
Street view of 609 Alger Drive
Back yard of 609 Alger Drive
Entry patio at 609 Alger Drive
Hidden ironing board in kitchen. The metal box at the bottom provided safe storage for a warm iron.p>
Here today, gone today! January 13, 2010.
The living/dining room is gone except for the fireplace.
A bedroom and bathroom are all that is left..
Only the redwood rubble remains.
It was over 100 years old and a charmer that had been relocated south of Colorado in 1949. Check out 2950 Ramona Street!p>
Who remembers what was here?
A new home at 179 Cowper Street will be surrounded by homes built in the earliest years of the 20th century. Photos of those early houses at north end of Cowper Street can be found on the Centennial Houses page.
This block of Seale Avenue had some really nice Old Palo Alto homes at one time that reflected what Old Palo Alto used to be—simple, charming, well maintained family homes with a really nice neighborhood feel. This particular group was lived in by various members of a well-known family that still has ties to Palo Alto.
330 and 336 Seale Avenue, smaller, but with lots of charm.
October 2008 and Earlier
Demolitions happen fast! Most houses were gone before a picture could be taken.
1365 Parkinson Avenue — Photos taken July 2002
548 Barron Avenue — Photos taked October 10; permit issued Sept. 30, 2008.
3864 Corina — Photo taken October 9, permit issued September 24, 2008
640 Santa Rita — Photos taken October 9; permit issued September 22, 2008
2296 Saint Francis Drive— permit issued September 15, 2008 (no photos)
E-mail us at either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.
Copyright © 2012 Palo Alto Stanford Heritage. All rights reserved.