PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

225 Lincoln Avenue

(formerly 1091 Emerson Street)

Professorville Historic District

Demolished 2012

Inventory photo 225
Inventory photo Photo taken April 2011.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A modest single-wall board and batten cottage, apparently first designed as a snug studio and then enlarged to an L-shape chain of rooms, each opening by French doors to the garden and arbors of wisteria. the geometric cut-work of the railings is both fine and unusual.

Significance:  One of several houses and cottages built in the immediate vicinity for Mrs. Cora Belle (Mrs. William A.) Kimball, who usually employed Gus Laumeister as her contractor. It may have been meant as a studio annex to her house across the street at 1101 Emerson, and she occupied it herself for a few years after it was completed.

From the mid-30s to the late 1950s it was owned by Phillip and Lena Carlton. Carlton, a native San Franciscan and pioneer member of the Bohemian Club, was an executive of American Trust Company until his death in 1943.

The owner in 1981 was E.W.I. Inc. of Menlo Park.

 

225 detail
gate gate
chain of rooms map
Chain of rooms from the alley Location map

 

The following is from the 2011 presentation of centennial plaques:

This board and batten house, built between 1909 and 1911, was a Category 3 on the Palo Alto Historic Resources Inventory. The original address was 1091 Emerson Street. It was built for Cora Kimball by Gustav Laumeister. The permit listed in the December 31, 1909 issue of the Palo Alto Times indicated a building cost of $3,000.

Demolished 2012.

This house was built between 1909 and 1911 and was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder probably was Gustav Laumeister (brief biography). The property measures 105 by 65 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/31/09, 1/3/12, 8/10/43; interview 1981 with Mrs. Rene (Dorothy Kimball) Texier

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.