PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources   Join / Donate

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

564 University Avenue

inventory photo 564 University
Inventory photo Photo taken


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story building with recessed ground-floor porch and square second floor bays and towers is a multiple unit building type which appears several times in the city. The image is a fusion of the Colonial revival and Mission Revival modes.

Significance:  The structure is interesting as a competent and essentially unaltered representative of a common building type. Thomas Forbes, the original owner, was a gardener and construction worker who came to Palo Alto in 1989. a daughter, Winifred Theresa, was a Stanford and UCLA librarian. For a time in the 50s and 60s, part of the building was rented for offices, but for most years since it was built, it has been the Forbes residence.

Note:  It's rehabilitation and restoration was recognized with a PAST Preservation Award in 2015. At that time, the owners, RSR Capital, converted it to office space and modified it to conform to modern standards.

front HRB photo
HRB photo address
detail map
Location map

This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. ( Recomme nded change from Category 4 by the Historic Resources Board in 2007.) The builder was A. N. Mills. The property measures 50 by 100 feet. It was given a PAST Preservation Award in 2015.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 2/14/04, 12/30/04, 1/4/05, 3/26/46, 6/24/46, 11/24/49, 4/10/78; interview with Thomas Forbes, 1984.


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.