PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources Join / Donate

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

405 Kipling Street

(405 Kipling Group)

Inventory photo 2016 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken February 27, 2016


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story house of a standard type has a classically detailed verandah. It serves as a portal to a surviving 19th century neighborhood fragment, which includes the houses at 411, 421, 430, 431, and 443 Kipling.

Significance:  This building is a fine example of a standard type and it performs an important urban design function. It was built for Norris H. smith, a Forty-Niner from Siskiyou County who came with his wife to Palo Alto in 1897. They occupied the house until 1930. From 1936 to 1952 it was the home of harry w. and Emma Cowell. The rare book merchant, William P. Wreden, occupied the building in 1955 and since then it has been used for commercial purposes.


fish-scale detail Lucy Spaziano photo
1985 photo map
Historic Resources Board photo 1985 Location map

This house was built in 1897 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was H. L. Upham and the builder P. P. Quinn. The property measures 53 by 112 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/21/97, 3/30/29, 12/19/31, 4/16/41; P.A. Live Oak 9/8/99


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.