PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources Join / Donate

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

216 Fulton Street

216 inventory photo 216
Inventory photo Photo taken May 6, 2013


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This one-story Craftsman bungalow has flared eave ends which give it a strong Japanese image. The structure is also interesting for its combination of patterning in wood for its surface material. the lower half of the building has been finished with board and batten. Brick piers support the entrance porch gable. Part of the porch was enclosed at a later date.

Significance:  The turned-up eaves of this house are key features of the Craftsman bungalow style variant described in builder's books as "Oriental" or even "Japo-Swiss". It was first owned by Andrew and Anna C. Swickard (1914 – 1922); Swickard was a civil engineer.

One of the city's leading dentists, Dr. H. C. Reynolds, lived in it briefly (1923 – 1924), followed by electrician William B. Callahan, and his wife, Stella (1925 – 1929). Most tenants were occupants for only brief periods. In the 1940s and 1950s, Mrs. Martha Sullivan, the owner, occupied it from time to time.

From 1966 to 1976, John Coppock was the occupant; he was succeeded by Phyllis Butler (1977 – 1984), author of a well-known book on Santa Clara Valley historic buildings.


216 map

This house was built in 1913 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was H. J. Ross. The property measures 50 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/2/14; Robert Winter, The California Bungalow, Los Angeles, Hennessey & Ingalls, Inc., 1980, esp. pp. 28–35; interview 1985, Phyllis Butler


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.