PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources   Join / Donate

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

560 Everett Avenue

inventory photo
Inventory photo Photo taken May 29, 2010


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story stucco Streamline Moderne house, with its porthole and pipe railings, projects a nautical image which was a major intention of the style. There is a matching garage. There have been minor alterations to the second floor.

Significance:  This is a good example of the residential phase of the streamline Moderne stylistic movement. August and Minnie Knight were the first owners (1937 – 1945). Knight, a descendant of the Massachusetts Puritan leader, elder William Brewster, was pursuing a music career when, though still young, he was afflicted by deafness. This led to his development of a career as a nationally–prominent leader in the education of the deaf. In this field, he as assisted by Mrs. Knight in publishing materials for the teaching of lip reading.

Mrs. Nellie R. Hammond took the house in 1946. Between 1950 and 1971, it was occupied by a series of short–term tenants, and then in 1972 became the property of Don and Dalila Miller. In 1978 it was serving as a veterans transition facility.

2013 photo  
Photo taken May 8, 2013  
entry map
Photo taken May 29, 2010 Location map

This house was built in 1936 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was A. A. Smith. The property measures 50 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 11/4/36; 12/1/44; interview 1983, Dalila Miller


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.