PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources Join / Donate

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

705 Cowper Street
Cowper Inn

inventory front
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken May 26, 2017.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This competent builder's Craftsman house is made imposing by its elevation above the basement. Rehabilitated in 1986 by John and Margaret Woodworth for use as a bed–and–breakfast inn. The basement is given the address 701 Cowper.

Significance:  This crisply detailed bungalow is an excellent example of the Craftsman mode.

The original owner, H. A. Worrell, a member of the well–known local family engaged in the wood and coal business, occupied it until 1907, followed by Dr. S. B. Van Dalsen (1903–1910). Van Dalsen was a physician who practiced principally in San Jose after leaving Palo alto.

The next owner for 26 years was Dr. Effie E. York. She was the earliest Palo Alto osteopath. She befriended Filipino workers and opened her home to them for many years.

Mrs. Elsie B. Stone, living in the house 1946–1956, was the custodian of the Felton Rare Book Library at Stanford. A popular elementary school teacher, Henry W. Heinichen was the owner from 1967–1977. From then until 1966, when it was acquired by the Woodworths, it was owned by Joanne M. Sonnichsen.

711 and 705 rear rear tower
lower unit, 701 stairs
corner plaque
garden plants
corner 701
porch map


Note: Thies structures were repainted between  May 20, 2012 and May 26, 2017 when the above photos were made.

This house was built in 1896 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is unknown. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.