PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources Join / Donate

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

936–938 Scott Street

inventory photo 936 Scott
Inventory photo Photo taken December 12, 2010


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This queen Anne residence is a two–story wood frame structure with a decorative porch containing fanciful woodwork of the late Victorian era. The two–story bay with fish scale shingles dramatizes the emphatically vertical design of the building. Decorative ornamentation crowns the two staggered stair windows and animates the façade.

Significance:  A modest but unusual and inventive version of the Queen Anne style, originally occupied by e. L. Greenleaf until 1918, then, 1919–1945, by Mr. and Mrs. Marvin M. Sorrells. Sorrells was a painting contractor (living next door, incidentally, to James Stroner, the city;s first painter, painting contractor, and paint merchant).

In the mid-50s, the house was divided into a duplex.


936 Scott windows
1895 plaque Corrected location map

This house was built in 1895 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was H. L. Upham and the builder was (P.P.) Quinn and Upham. The 1903 work was done by Upham. The property measures 50 by 112.50 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/22/95, 5/17/95, 1/2/96, 9/11/03, 4/1/39, 6/2/44


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.