PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1220 Waverley Street

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 2010 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken July 31, 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This low, one story shingled Craftsman house, with its lattice-work porches and careful site relationship, has a strong Japanese feeling. It is an important piece of an extensive group of related buildings.

Note: The second-story was added sometime after 1998.

Significance:  Part of an unusual rustic group in a shared landscape (with 364 and 374 Kingsley Avenue), and one of two cottages built at the same time for newly-wed Bolton C. Brown and his wife Lucy. He was a pioneer Stanford faculty member in art, she a co-founder of Castillega Hall. Until 1902 the Browns lived next door at 374 Kingsley.

When they moved to New York they sold 1220 Waverley Street to Henry C. Munro who, like the Browns, used it as rental property. The first tenant (1899-1900) was Mrs. Charlotte G. Dingley (widow of Walter F. Dingley), a charter member of PEO Chapter T.

Mary I. Lockey (1872-1939), A.B, Stanford, 1902, occupied the cottage from 1902 to 1909. After teaching at Harker School, Miss Lockey became a co-founder and Principal of Castilleja School. Professor Percy A. Martin (1879-1942) and his family lived there for a decade (1914-1925). He was a well-known Stanford historian of Latin America.

The house again became rental property, owned by J. O. and Jeannie T. Neikirk (see 1357 Cowper Street). Mrs. Mabelle Osborne Johnson, occupant from 1929-1932, had been the first enrollee at Harker School in 1902 and received the A.B. degree from Stanford in 1909. In the 1930s, well-known Palo Altans living there included John R. Bertholf, in insurance, and Samuel C. Allen, of the Palo Alto Hardware Co.

In 1940, Wilfred D. and Bertha L. Bull purchased the cottage. He was an official with the Veterans Administration. Their granddaughter became the present owner (Michael and Lizanne Beanland) in 1985.

 

PAHA photo 1998 1998 photo
robert Brandeis photo 1220
Robert Brandeis photo robert Brandeis photo
entry map
Location map

This house was built in 1899 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was J. W. Wells. The property measures 50 by 190 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/29/1899, 3/6/39, 3/8/42, 1/3/53, 1/26/57, 1/27/68; Book 212 (Deeds), p. 182, 1/16/1900; book 160 (Off. Rec.), p. 184-5, 4/1/24; Bood 998 (Off. Rec.), p. 210, 7/26/40 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.