PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

364 Kingsley Avenue

Professorville Historic District

Inventory photo 364
Inventory photo Rober Brandeis photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small shingled hip-roofed house has suggestions of some Craftsman origins but is essentially a modest vernacular structure. The porch and some windows appear to have been somewhat altered. The one-story structure is sited well back from the street in a charming landscaped garden which is shared by its neighbor 374 Kingsley.

Significance:  Miss Eleanor Pearson had J.W. Wells build the cottage at 364 Kingsley for her in 1899, next door to Lucy Fletcher Brown who, together with Miss Pearson, helped to found Castilleja Hall. The structure and its neighbors at 1220 Waverly Street (formerly numbered 380 Kingsley) and 374 Kingsley, create a small complex in a shared landscape. Rustic structures at 373 and 375 Whitman Court, an alley at the rear, are also related to the Kingsley cottages in terms of image and setting.

From 1903–1911, Dr. George B. Little and his wife Jessie occupied the cottage. Dr. Little was the first resident dentist in Palo Alto, arriving in 1894 and not retiring until 1941, when he was incapacitated by auto accident injuries. He was active in music, especially with the Congregational Church. Professor Willfred H. Manwaring occupied the house in 1921 and purchased it in 1929. Manwaring joined the faculty of the Stanford School of Medicine in 1913 after receiving his M.D. from Johns Hopkins and teaching at Chicago and Indiana universities. He became the faculty's outstanding bacteriologist and immunologist, whom the editors of American Men of Science honored as among the nation's leading pathologists. One son, Frederick, became an executive for several major industrial firms; another, John, a pathologist, like his father. Michael Canbell and Marina Zago purchased from the Manwarings in I960. Another owner was Chester Fairclough.

Note:  The house was extensively remodeled in 2010.

 

364 364
364 map
"After" Location map

This house was built in 1899 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was J. W. Wells. The property measures 50 by feet 190.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/29/99, 12/19/32, 3/17/37, 10/1/54, 11/18/76; Book 494 (Official Records), p. 345, 12/9/29 (Santa Clara County, Recorder); interview 1985, John Manwaring

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.