PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1001 Ramona Street

Professorville

inventory photo 1001 Ramona
Inventory photo Photo taken June 3, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1986:

Physical appearance:   The arched openings and layered effect of the front porch are unusual in what is an otherwise letter–perfect plan book bungalow. the generous front porch and the shed dormer are more typical of the type, as is the ground–hugging profile.

Significance:  This is an unusually elegant and unexpectedly detailed Craftsman bungalow, built for Mrs. H. W. Fowler (see 221 Kingsley and 1129 Emerson) by her usual contractor, Gus Laumeister. Its first owners were Professor and Mrs. A. M. Cathcart (1910–1917). A graduate of Stanford with a Harvard law degree, A. M. Cathcart (1873–1949) joined the Stanford law school faculty in 1904, taught at the University until 1938, and then topped off a distinguished career by teaching at Hastings Law School until his death. He was one of the most active Stanford faculty members who participated in Palo Alto community affairs—seventeen years as a City Councilman (1918–1936), and  mayor during the last four of those years.

From 1925 to 1942 the house belonged to Elmer B. Crady and, after his death, his widow Mrs. Margaret F. Crady.

Mrs. Myrtle Appy was the owner and occupant from 1944–1985. She came to Palo Alto from Redwood City, where she lived from 1922–1944. She was a graduate of Columbia Teachers College and taught school in Cleveland before coming to California.

In 1986, Peter Vilkin of Oberlin Street owned the house, and it was being used as a duplex.

 

 
1001 Ramona in 2010 2010 photo
entry detail location map
Entry showing 1908 plaque at left of door Location map

This house was built in 1908 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Gustav Laumeister. The property measures 50 by 105 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/20/08, 12/24/08, 11/2/49, 1/18/74, 1/22/85; Guy C. Miller, Palo Alto Community Book (P.A. 1952), p. 240

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.