PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1129 Emerson Street

Professorville Historic District

1129 inventory photo 1129
Inventory photo Photo taken April 22, 2015.

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1983:

Physical appearance:  This one-and-one-half shingled Craftsman bungalow receded into the landscaping of its site. The round arches of the porch are an interesting feature; partial enclosure of the porch is a later change.

Significance: A fine example of the builder's bungalow, a building which performs an important role in the visual background of its block. it was commissioned by Mrs. W.H. Fowler nearby (221 Kingsley). From 1913 – 1918 it was the home of Colonel Jacob F. Kreps, whose disability retirement was ended by World War I, in which he was said to have performed "brilliantly".

During 1923 – 1937, the Egerton D. Lakin family owned the house. A native of Iowa Hill, "Ed" Lakin graduated from Palo Alto High School in 1904, Stanford in 1908, and Stanford Law School in 1910. He practiced law in the city from 1914 until his death in 1968. His outstanding services to the city included City Council, 1913 – 1915, police judge, 1915 - 1929, Secretary, Chamber of Commerce, 1916 – 1922, and Chamber President, 1023; Sunday School superintendent for First Methodist Church for 21 years; charter member of the Palo Alto Rotary Club, University Club, and Historical Association; master of the Palo Alto Masonic Lodge. He played leading roles in the Community Player's productions, and attended every big Game at Stanford from 1902 to 1967.

After the Lakins left the house in 1937, it became the home of Professor Phillip W. Buck (1938 1951), a distinguished specialist in comparative government at Stanford. The Bucks were followed by Hugh D. and Harriet D. Smith.

 

robert Brandeis photo porch
Robert Brandeis black & white photo
porch 1129
PAHA collection
map
PAHA archive photo location map

This house was built in 1908 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Gustav Laumeister. The property measures 61.7 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/20/08, 12/24/08, 6/13/39. 4/3/67, 11/27/68, 12/11/85; Who's Who in America (Buck); Palo Alto Community Book (P.A., 1952), p. 242–3

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.