PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

510 Lincoln Avenue

inventory photo 510
Inventory photo Photo taken May 16, 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1984:

Physical appearance:   This French Norman Revival house has an elegant entrance, carefully detailed arches, dormers and garage building.

Significance:  A fine example of a period revival style done by a major San Francisco architect. The house was built for Adelaide (Mr. John F.) Newsom, who previously lived for many years at 1129 Cowper (destroyed by fire in 1959). She moved an older house, then located at 510 Lincoln, down the block to 536 Lincoln to make room for her new dwelling and, in addition, commissioned Charles K. Sumner to design another new house next door at 528 Lincoln.

Note: The owner in 1984 was J. Branner Newsom.

 

Cowper view map
View from Cowper Street Location map

This house was built in 1931 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Henry Gutterson of San Francisco and the builder was Clinton Stephenson Construction Company. The property measures 190 by 300 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 10/25/28, 10/23/31, 9/12/55; Palo Alto Historical Association Tall Tree, vol. 7, no. 5 (March 1983; interview 1984, J. B. Newsom

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.