PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1370 Lincoln Avenue

Originally 405 Ashby

Middlekauff House

inventory photo
Inventory photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This very large Spanish Colonial Revival house with its courtyard play, its combination of two and one-story masses, outside stairway, and wrought iron evoke the hacienda atmosphere. A stucco wall along the street has replaced the original iron fence which now surrounds the swimming pool in the rear.

Significance:  This is a superbly evocative example of the style.

The house was built for Peter D. Middlekauff and his wife Emma; he was a harvester machine company executive from Chicago who moved to Palo Alto in 1926. The Middlekauffs owned and occupied the house until 1955.

Succeeding owners were Merle R. Zinser, finance officer of Varian Associates (1957 to 1962); Lester A Roberts, scientist with Watkins-Johnson Company (1963 to 1972), and in the later 70s, Dr. Richard A. Kramer, of the Palo Alto Medical Clinic. The Kramers were followed by Foster and Dania Gamble, and in 1983 by Bruce and Karen McCaul.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1927 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Charles K. Sumner and the builder was Osborne and Knight. The property measures 205.5 by 187 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/12/26, 4/19/27, 10/8/27 (illustrated), 10/29/27, 5/10/39 (illustrated); Palo Alto Historical Association obituary files; interview April 1981, Mr. and Mrs. Forest Gamble

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.