PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1009 Forest Court

Flint Mansion Carriage House

inventory photo 1009
Inventory photo Photo taken December, 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Originally the water tower and stable for 1001 Forest, this building has been converted to residential use. There is an unusual gable treatment with the curved sweep of the lower gable and sliced for the windows, creating ear-like projections.

Significance:  The structure is a very fine example of outbuildings of the period, and a successful attempt at adaptive re-use by owners Kingsley and Lansing Wood.

 

tower entry
detail map

The following is from the Centennial Buildings Tour, prepared by The City of Palo Alto Historic Resources Board for the Centennial Building Celebration, April 16, 1994. The houses included on the tour were all identified as at least 100 years old:

Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart Flint had architect H. L. Upham and P. P. Quinn build her mansion (1001 Forest) in Queen Anne style but a later transformation to Classical Revival style almost totally obliterated its original design. Its carriage house at 1009 Forest reflects the original style. From 1922-65 it was owned by the Smiths, who owned Smith's Sport Shop on the Circle starting in 1906.

This house was built in 1896 and is a Category 1 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 34 by 114 feet.

Sources:  Palo Alto AAUW, . . . Gone Tomorrow?, 1971; Bicycle Tour Brochure, 1978

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.