PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

Flint Mansion

1001 Forest Avenue

inventory photo 1001
Inventory photo Photo taken December 2010.

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The transformation of this house from a playfully-turreted Queen Anne to a formal Classical Revival design has almost totally obliterated its original configuration.

Significance:  This house is a case history of changing tastes and fashions in architectural styles—because of extensive changes to the exterior, it bears little resemblance to the original mansion. However, the carriage house (1009 Forest Court) remains and is renovated in keeping with the era of its origin.

It was built for Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart Flint, who came to Palo Alto in 1893 so that her children, Maude and E. Royal Flint, could attend Stanford. Maude graduated in 1897, Royal in 1901, after which he studied music in Leipsig and, returning, became of of Palo alto's leading piano teachers. He composed the University song, "Stanford Forever". Another early Palo Altan, Peter Suverkrup, also lived briefly after retirement on the property.

From 1922 to 1965 it was the Smith family home. Fred H. Smith opened a bicycle shop in 1898 in the old Encina Gymnasium at Stanford, then moved his shop to the Circle in Palo Alto in 1906. His was the first such establishment and until very recent times was a city landmark of its commercial type. His sons continued to be involved in the business for many years.

 

porch detail roof detail
December 8, 2002 photo September 28, 2013 photo
historic photo map

detail
map showing house and carriage house
December  2010 photo Location map showing 1001 Forest Avenue and 1009 Forest Court

 

The following is from the Centennial Buildings Tour, prepared by The City of Palo Alto Historic Resources Board for the Centennial Building Celebration, April 16, 1994. The houses included on the tour were all identified as at least 100 years old:

Mrs. Elizabeth Stewart Flint had architect H. L. Upham and P. P. Quinn build her mansion in Queen Anne style but a later transformation to Classical Revival style almost totally obliterated its original design. Its carriage house at 1009 Forest reflects the original style. From 1922-65 it was owned by the Smiths, who owned Smith's Sport Shop on the Circle starting in 1906.

This house was built in 1894 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was H. L. Upham and the builder was (P. P.) Quinn & (H. L.) Upham. The property measures 115 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/27/94, 1/2/96, 12/9/98, 12/13/10, 1/12/17, 12/8/33, 9/28/51, 3/29/52, 6/3/57, 9/25/71, 11/1o/75; Palo Alto AAUW, . . . Gone Tomorrow?, 1971, p. 25; Guy C. Miller, Palo Alto Community Book, Palo Alto, 1952, p. 288–9

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.