Photo taken in 1978.
The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:
This Spanish Colonial Revival school building is a symmetrical scheme whose severe, balanced elements are relieved by brief bursts of Churringueresque ornamentation. A two-story facade employing ornate decorative elements envites entry.
Ground was broken for the school in June 1923. Citizens had voted bonds in the sum of $72,000 to finance construction, although actual cost is usually given as $66,489. Stanford University gave the land on which the Mayfield School was built. It Included eight classrooms, offices, and an auditorium which would seat 750 people. The Japanese Association of Mayfield offered to landscape the area around the school building. The architect gave a flag pole and the Women's Relief Corps gave the flag. Additional rooms were added in 1940. The school was opened March 29, 1924 and was closed as an elementary school in 1966. While Addison School was being made earthquake-proof, Addison students were bussed to Mayfield School. Since 1968 the building has housed Continuation School, Mayfield Career Center (Adult Education), Sojourner Truth Center, and Manpower Training Center (CETA).
The Spanish Colonial Revival themes so important to the character of Palo Alto are here reflected in a public school building with handsome Churregueresque decoratic at the entry.
Aerial View Location Map
The above information was gathered from the Palo Alto Times ( 2/19/24. 6/1/25, 6/9/66, and 6,24/69) and also from information on the cornerstone.
This house was built in 1923 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory.
E-mail us at either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.
Top Inventory Home
Copyright © 2013 Palo Alto Stanford Heritage. All rights reserved.