PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

Mayfield School
2650 El Camino Real — Demolished 1982

Mayfield School 1936 photo
Inventory photo Guy Miller Archieve photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This Spanish Colonial Revival school building is a symmetrical scheme whose severe, balanced elements are relieved by brief bursts of Churrigueresque ornamentation. A two–story facade employing ornate decorative elements invites entry.

Significance:  Ground was broken for the school in June 1923. Citizens had voted bonds in the sum of $72,000 to finance construction, although actual cost is usually given as $66,489. Stanford University gave the land on which the Mayfield School was built. It included eight classrooms, offices, and an auditorium which would seat 750 people.

The Japanese Association of Mayfield offered to landscape the area around the school building. The architect gave a flag pole and the Women's Relief Corps gave the flag. Additional rooms were added in 1940. The school was opened March 29, 1924 and was closed as an elementary school in 1966. While Addison School was being made earthquake–proof, Addison students were bussed to Mayfield School. Since 1968 the building has housed Continuation School, Mayfield Career Center (Adult Education), Sojourner Truth Center and Manpower Training Center (CETA).

The Spanish Colonial Revival themes so important to the character of Palo Alto are here reflected in a public school building with handsome Churregueresque decoration at the entry.

The above information was gathered from the Palo Alto Times ( 2/19/24, 6/1/25, 6/9/66, and 6/24/69) and also from information on the cornerstone.

Link to class photos.

arch detail
aerial view map

The school was built in 1923 and was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. It was demolished in 1982. The architect was Henry C. Smith. The property measured 295 by 334 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 2/19/24, 6/1/25, 6/9/66, 6/24/69; cornerstone information

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.