PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

435 Coleridge Avenue

inventory photo 35 Coleridge
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2011.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This large two–story Spanish Colonial Revival house presents a quiet street facade unadorned except for its scalloped recessed entrance. Its side elevation, however, reveals an unusual broken gable profile and, on the southwest side, a patio entry which originally faced a tennis court.

Significance:  This is a complex manipulation of the architect's well–established Spanish Colonial Revival style to create an evocative image. It was so planned that all windows overlook the garden, which Sumner also designed. The original owner was Arthur G. Kennedy, Professor of English at Stanford 1914–1945, an internationally–distinguished Chaucer scholar and widely–published expert on the English language, grammar, and usage.

Dr. and Mrs. Tanner (O. R. and Mary Lou) were the second owners (since 1958).

435 Coleridge  
entry map

 

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Charles Sumner. The builder was Ralph W. Follmer. The property measures 100 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 12/17/24, 1/1/25, 6/2/45, 4/21/54; interviews 1985, Katherine (Kennedy) Qualls, Dr. O.R. Tanner

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.