PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

340 Coleridge Avenue

inventory photo 340 Coleridge
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2009.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This large house is composed in Craftsman and Tudor Revival style of distinct units, characterized by differences of form and of surface textures. Half–timber, stucco, and shingles comprise the surface materials of the partially two–story structure.

Significance:  This imaginative and forceful building is a fine illustration of additive compositional techniques. The architect, Charles Hodges, had been "Resident Architect" at Stanford University until 1906. The house always has been owned by members of the same family, beginning with Arthur W. and Sophia P. Stetson, and continuing with their daughter, Mrs. Ruth (Stetson) Bearce [and her husband Paul Bearce]. Stetson was a son of a pioneer San Francisco family, and was chief executive of large manufacturing and heavy machinery enterprises.

historic photo

historic photo
street view
detail 2015 photo
entry
detail
window


2015 photos
location map

 

This house was built in 1915 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Charles Hodges. The builder was E. J. Kingham. The property measures 100 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/14/26, 10/7/44, 6/3/70; interview 1985, Mrs. Ruth Bearce

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.