PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

215 Coleridge Avenue

inventory photo
Photo taken in 1978.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Two story stucco structure, with tile roof, arched entry, and overtones of Classical Revival and Mediterranean styles; surrounded by landscaped grounds.

Significance:  The house was built for Louis D. Mills and Frederick A. Wickett (see 1600 Bryant). Mills was a Stanford graduate (1901), a metallurgical engineer, Vice–President of Merrill Co., San Francisco, and co–inventor of many processes involving cyanide. He and his wife, Florence, occupied the house for twenty years.

From 1944–1952, it was the home of another Stanford engineer, Gayle R. Dutton.  E. Harrison Williams, owner from 1959–1972, was a retired U.S. Army colonel who, after leaving active service, went into the construction business. The next owners were George and Beverley James.

    location map     
       

 

This house was built in 1922 and is a Category  4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. Charles K. Sumner was the architect. The property measures 150 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/1/22, 7/29/31, 7/16/43, 12/22/81; interview 1983 George James.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.