PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1415 Cowper Street

inventory mao
Photo taken in 1978. Location Map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This is a formal, symmetrical house whose antecedents are partly French, partly Regency. the step roof, the quoining, and the arc–topped dormers all reinforce the image.

Significance:  This house is a superb example of period revival design at its most evocative, quite different from the two houses behind it on Tasso Street [1408-10 and 1416] which were built for the same owner, Dr. Ephraim Weiss. Its first occupant, Armand T. Mercier (1938–1940), became President of Southern Pacific Railroad, 1941–1951, after a long career as a chief construction engineer with the company.

Weiss, the original owner, bequeathed the house to Stanford University, which sold it in 1956 to Leslie S. Post, a Realtor. Ten years later it was acquired by Robert and Lois Morgan.

This house was built in 1936 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Carl Walstrom. Interior remodeling circa 1977 was made by Joseph Lombardo. The property measures 65 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/18/36, 10/19/51, 11/22/57; interviews 1985, Lois Morgan, Leslie S. Post

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.