PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1416 Tasso Street

1416 map
Inventory photo Location Map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small but elegant one-story stucco Spanish Colonial Revival house utilizes careful proportions and scale to establish its emphatic presence. the transition of surfaces at the porch arches is particularly subtle. The brackets at the driveway entrance to the porch and the tile roundels at the street are the only conventional decorative touches.

Significance:  This is a superb example of sophisticated period revival design applied to a very modest structure. It was built for Ephraim and Amalia Weiss (see note on the Weisses for 1410 Tasso Street).

Until 1956 it was chiefly used as rental property. Among the several short-term tenants was Margery Bailey (1934-38), one of Stanford's distinguished professors of English literature, who specialized in Renaissance and Shakespearean studies, and was a vigorous patron of dramatic poetry and the "little theatre" movement of the Peninsula.

Since 1956 it has been owned by Mrs. Angeline H. Olson (1946-76) and Jane O. Post [1985].

 

This house was built in 1922 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Minton Co. The property measures 50 by 112.54 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 10/29/21, 12/1/21, 6/17/63; interview 1985, Leslie S. Post.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.