PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

825 Channing Avenue

825 Channing 825 Channing
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken May, 2006.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance: The two–story bay, arched gable cut–out, and L–shaped verandah of this house lend a Queen Anne image to this otherwise straight–forward design.

Significance:  This is a modest adaptation of the Queen Anne mode. The first occupant was Walter P. Brown, a realtor (1910–1916), who came to Palo Alto for his health from Pomona. There he had been a pioneer of the orange industry. Mrs. Martha E. Brown was active in the Palo Alto Methodist Church before the family moved on to Santa Rosa.

The family acquired the house in 1925, seven years after first coming to Palo Alto.

Gioacchino and Fancesco Forzano were the owners in 1978.

view from street porch
front door     window detail
detail     location map

 

This house was built in 1909 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is not known. The property measures 65 by 202 feet. It was awarded a Residential Preservation Award by PAST in 2006.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 2/18/43, 4/14/49, 2/19/68; interview 1985, Francesco Forzano

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.