logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1061 Bryant Street

Sunbonnet House

Professorville Historic District

1061 Bryant 1061 Bryant
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2010 after restoration.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This gambrel and mansard roofed house was designed by the Berkeley master architect, Bernard Maybeck. It has always been known as the Sunbonnet House because of the originally cantilevered porch roof (the porch posts in the inventory photo are a later addition). The house retains its charm despite this alteration and others to the side and rear. Note: The recent restoration more accurately follows the original Maybeck plans.

Significance:  The talented Bernard Maybeck, most of whose work is in the East Bay, designed this house for Emma Kellogg. It replaced an earlier house (1896) he designed for her, which had burned down in 1898. The latter had been described by the Palo Alto Times as the "oddest, neatest, tastiest house in Palo Alto." A contemporary of Frank Lloyd Wright, Maybeck was similarly distinguished in his sensitivity to materials, stress on functional (but often rich) design, and close relationship between indoors and outdoors. Characteristic Maybeck features are the shingled exterior with bold projecting beams, redwood paneling inside, and the Japanese–influenced sliding doors to the living and dining rooms.

Emma Kellogg was the sister–in–law of Joseph Hutchinson (see 433 Kingsley Avenue). Her father, George H. Kellogg, had settled in Francisco in 1864. She came to Palo Alto in 1893 and lived at 1061 Bryant with her sister Gertrude (d. 1946) until 1950, the year before she died. She was a founder of the Better Hearing League in Palo Alto.

The principal owner–occupants following her were James and Harriet Judy (1959–1971) and their large family. Judy came from a pioneer family of Winters, California, and was the owner of a medical equipment and supply firm. He was the first to suggest to the City Council the town's "guard and go" grid of stop signs at alternating cross streets as a safer alternative than several proposals being debated to establish arterials and one-way streets in the central district of the city.

sunbonnet side view roof and eave detail
Restored sunbonnet Structural detail
location sketch map Side view
Location map 1061 Bryant as seen from Lincoln Avenue.

 

This house was built in 1899 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. Bernard Maybeck was the architect and James W. Wells, the builder. A thorough restoration was recently completed and the home was presented with a PAST Preservation Award in 2013. The property measures 150 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/7/96, 11/4/96, 8/29/99, 3/7/51, 9/16/84; AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?; David Gebhard, et al., Guide to Architecture in San Francisco and Northern California, p. 158; Kenneth H. Cardwell, Bernard Maybeck (Santa Barbara, Peregrine Smith, Inc., 1977), p. 240.

Top


FaceBook f

YouTube

Twitter bird

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.