PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

260 Miramonte Avenue

Originally 306 Madrone

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location Map


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Careful and inventive detailing enhances this one-story stucco and wood house, the English half-timber decor of which is continued in the garden fence. The entrance is tucked into an angle of the U-shaped structure, and the living room is treated as a studio-like pavilion.

Significance:  The unconventional use of a conventional design motif helps to create a handsome and distinctive building. The use of wood between the half-timber design nodules, rather than stucco, is unusual.

Preston B. Delano, an engineer, was the first owner (to 1934), followed by several occupants to 1942, when it became the property of Thomas and Nelle Ashlock. He was an osteopathic surgeon, sometime president of the California Osteopathic Association, who came to the city in 1927.

From 1945 to 1952, it was the home of attorney Jack K. Horton, and 1953 to 1966 of George M. Clute, Assistant Vice-President of C & H Sugar Co. The Clutes were succeeded by John and Jeanne Sliney.

For the history of Southgate, the district where the house is located, see 1621 Castilleja Street.

This house was built in 1926 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Christopher Cook of the Cook Lumber Company. The property measures 105 by 70 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/8/26, 5/19/26, 3/23/27, 1/5/28, 2/4/55, 11/23/67; interview 1985 Jeanne Sliney


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.