PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

220 Miramonte Avenue
Originally 301 Portola

iventory photo 220
Inventory photo Photo taken April 27, 2014

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   An arcaded sun room (s0mewhat altered) is the primary point of architectural interest in this one-story stucco Spanish Colonial Revival house. There is also some unusual detailing around the windows of the main block of the structure.

Significance:  A rather out-of-ordinary variation of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. See 1921 Castilleja Street for history of Southgate, the district in which the house is located.

The first owners were Earl and Deruchette P. Pooler (1928 to 1956). They were succeeded (1957 to 1969) by Professor Newton S. Hawley and his wife Virginia, and soon after (1972) by Calvin and Shirley Radl.

It served as a model home and sales office for the Southgate tract.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1926 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Christopher M. Cook of the Cook Lumber Company. The property measures 105 by 75 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/4/26, 2/19/26, 6/8/26, 3/23/27, 6/19/28; Palo Alto Building Department file; interview 1985, Shirley Radl

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.