PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  HOLIDAY  HOUSE TOUR Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses Inventory Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

1990 Holiday House Tour: Professorville

1990 HHT ticket   

Homes on tour:

In the early 1890's, the first houses to emerge from the grain fields of what was to become Palo Alto clustered around the entrances to Stanford University. Merchants and craftsmen favored the University Avenue location where the SP railroad depot was located. Stanford faculty developed a residential area removed from downtown but easily accesible to the campus via Embarcadero. For nearly thirty years the area attracted faculty families, because relatively few homesites were available near the University quadrangles and Stanford land could only be leased, not purchased. The area became known as "Professorville." It is now listed on the National Register as a Historic District.

The Shingle Style, the typical architectural form in the district, emerged about the same time as Professorville. In contrast to the Victorian Queen Anne Style which emphasized structural details, the walls and roof of the Shingle Style enclose the interior space with a continuous skin. Colonial elements are often used, but they are integrated into the overall design by the allencompassing shingles. The Shingle style also embraces the Craftsman movement in which natural materials and continuity between indoors and out are emphasized. Interior redwood paneling, living and sleeping porches, trellises, and groupings of windows are Craftsman features.

 

319 Addison Avenue — 1900

The house, with its companion at 327 Addison, was built for Mrs. Kate Schulze in 1900 and 1902 respectively. She first occupied 327 with her sister, Edith Fallanius, but then moved to number 319. It represents one of the principal styles of early Palo Alto, particularly in the central area. Because of the proximity to Professorville, the home has attracted many professors over the years including Professor Horatio Stebbins, the son of a well–known Stanford trustee.

The current owners, Matt Henneberg and Jeannie Moulton, met on the roof of this house. Matt was trying to lay a tarp over the second floor he was in the process of building. A storm was coming and Jeannie, a next door neighbor, offered her help. They were married soon after. Matt and Jeannie have two daughters and continue to remodel when needed, both in their own home and the small rental at the side of the house.

    327 Addison

Inventory sheet

1061 Bryant Street — 1899

The Sunbonnet House was designed by Bernard Maybeck in 1899 for Miss Emma Kellog. It replaced an earlier Maybeck design which burned down in 1898. The house retains many Maybeck features such as extensive use of redwood shingles (the house seems almost enveloped in them), the use of much redwood inside and out, and Japanese influenced pocket doors. The dominating, large Gambrel roof appears to become one with the walls, presenting a unified mass. This feature is in contrast with the more broken outlines of most Maybeck homes and was thought to be amazingly conventional for Maybeck.

Emma Kellogg was the sister–in–law of Palo Alto's first mayor, Joseph Hutchinson. She lived here with her sister until 1950 and was a much beloved Sunday School teacher for the children of Professorville. She was very hard of hearing and helped found the Better Hearing League in Palo Alto.

George and Sigurd Fiegl have made this their home since 1979 and raised four daughters here. The house has been altered somewhat over the years, the Fiegl's having added their touch by remodeling the kitchen in 1989.

    1061 Bryant Street

Inventory sheet

 

1044 Bryant Street 1902

The home was originally built for the Varian family in 1902. The father, John, had many literary and philosophical interests and turned the downstairs parlor room into an informal neighborhood school of thought and discussion. The sons, Russell and Sigurd Varian, later collaborated in the development of the klystron tube, the key element of the radar air-defense system of World War II. In 1948 they established the Varian electronics firm. The Varian sons were dedicated outdoorsmen and instrumental in establishing Castle Rock State Park.

This charming cottage has been lovingly remodeled by James and Annie Lin Johnson. It is a wonderful example of how one can renovate an older house to fit today's needs and still retain the historical "feel" of the house. Please note the living room fireplace mantel which was handmade by the present owner. During the remodeling it was determined that what was once a dining room and galley kitchen had been combined at some point and now provides the space for their sunny kitchen.

   

1044 Bryant, Varian home

Inventory sheet

 

1100 Bryant Street 1902

The home cost Mrs. Cora Bell Kimball $1500 to build in 1902. Take note of the gas/wood burning stove in the kitchen. The railroad lantern hanging in the living room is also original, dating from the 1800's, and was bought by Mrs. Kimball for her son who loved railroads. Dorothy Abbott Ames, the daughter of Nathan Abbott, first Dean of Law at Stanford, returned to Palo Alto after the death of her first husband, son of the Dean of Law at Harvard. She subsequently married her childhood neighbor and friend, Rufus Kimball and lived here with him, in the house his mother built, until the early 1970's.

Zelma Teicher is the first owner of this Craftsman style cottage outside the original family. She has lived here since 1969 and is delighted that the house remains in its original state and still functions well.

   

1100 Bryant

Inventory sheet

 

365 Lincoln Avenue 1903

The house was originally built for Leander Hoskins in 1903 by Gus Laumeister for the princely sum of $8000. Professor Hoskins taught applied mechanics at Stanford until 1925. A subsequent owner installed a beautiful Japanese garden at the rear of the home.

The architecture represents an unusual fusion of Craftsman and Colonial Revival elements. The large, overhanging eaves with projecting rafters are typical of Craftsman style giving the effect of a rustic hunting lodge. The second floor bow window with balustrade adds a more Colonial refinement.

In 1959, Professor James and Margaret Stone bought this magnificent example of a Craftsman home in which they have raised their four children.

   

HHT

Inventory sheet

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.