PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1525 Webster Street

Originally 1533 Webster Street and 600 Embarcadero Road

inventory photo street view
Inventory photo Photo taken February 28, 2016

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A one-story Spanish Colonial Revival house, carefully sited on its corner lot, and set off by well-planned landscaping.

Significance:  A good California Colonial Revival design by the city's best-known practitioner of the mode. Birge Clark owned and occupied the house until 1936. Jewell A. and Helen M. Roberts were the next owners (1938-1949). he was manager of Burrows Adding Machine Co.

From 1950 to 1957, it was occupied by Bruce S. Gibson, owner of the city's well-known Gibson's Shade Shop.

Since 1963, Col. David Y. Nanney has been the owner. [1985]

 

street view 2012 image
Lolly Osborn photo map
Side view Location map

This house was built in 1922 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark and the builder was The Minton Company. The property measures 126.4 150 by feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times2/28/22, 4/3/22, 2/4/52; interivew 1985, Birge M. Clark, Patricia Becker

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.