PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1400 Webster Street

Originally 578 Kellogg Avenue

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Photo taken

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This one-and-one-half story Colonial Revival shingle house has a wide eave across the front and a multi-window dormer. clever shutter cutouts contribute to an Early American folk image.

Significance:  This is a letter-perfect interpretation of its period revival mode. The first owner, Douglas Watson II, a geologist and author, was the father of Mrs. Herbert Hoover, Jr. He and his wife Mai occupied the house until 1924 and were followed by Harley L. and Rachel Lutz. Lutz was an economics professor at Stanford, 1923-1928; moving to Princeton University, he was an internationally recognized expert on public finance, serving on numerous foreign and domestic comissions and consultanships.

From 1938-47 the occupant was L.V. Parmalee, and from 1948-61, Melville H. Devoto, manager of The Emporium. The next owners were Neal A. Hammond (1962-68), associated with Ford Motor Co., and Stanford professor Hugh O. McDevitt, (1969-77). Victor and Janet L. Schahcter acquired the property in 1978.

 

This house was built in 1918 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are not known. The property measures 88 by 112.7 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/2/19, 9/3/28, 12/17/49; interview 1985, Janet Schachter

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.