PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1022 Webster Street

inventory photo 1022
Inventory photo Photo taken June 22, 2009

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1984:

Physical appearance:   This one-story shiplap-surfaced structure identical to 1026 Webster. However, it is in better physical condition and retains its original porch railings. The pyramidal roof form is typical of vernacular buildings of the period.

Significance:  This pair of houses well exemplifies vernacular design. It was first occupied (to 1910) by Professor O. S. Hoover, then by a long succession of short-term families until 1950, when Dominic and Ann Porta purchased it.

Nearby on the same block, facing Addison, are three other houses built by Hook.

 

side  
plaque map

The following is from the Centennial Buildings Tour, prepared by The City of Palo Alto Historic Resources Board for the Centennial Building Celebration, April 16, 1994. The houses included on the tour were all identified as at least 100 years old:

This one story shiplap–surfaced structure is identical to 1026 Webster, but retains the original porch railings. The pyramidal roof form is typical of vernacular buildings of the period. Built by Henry Hook, its first occupant was Professor O. S. Hoover.

This house was built in 1893 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Henry W. Hook (and son, early Palo Alto carpenters). The property measures 45 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 9/1/93, 1/5/94; AAUW, . . . Gone Tomorrow?, p. 16.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.