PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

745 and 751 Waverley Street

St. Thomas Aquinas Church

inventory photo STA
Inventory photo Photo taken April 16, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981 and 1985:

Physical appearance:   This Gothic Revival design, said to be the oldest extant church building in Palo Alto, creates a complex but orderly composition by the repetition and echo of its gable motif.

The parsonage next door at 745 is a two-story Spanish Colonial Revival.

Significance:  This is a highly imaginative manipulation of Gothic Revival forms and images. The first services were held on June 2, 1902.

The adjacent parochial residence was built in 1928 Edward Eames was the architect and L. A. Bachelder the contractor.

 

windows plaque
detail gables
745 Waverley map
745 Waverley Location map

The church was built in 1901 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory; the house was built in 1928 and is included in the listing. The church architect was Shea & Shea of San Francisco; the builder is not mentioned. The house architect was Edward Eames and L. A. Batchelder the contractor. The property measures 100 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Historical Association files; Palo Alto Times 7/21/1928, 12/18/1928

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.