PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

734 - 736 Waverley Street

inventory photo 734 Waverley
Inventory photo Photo taken April 16, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The ground-hugging profile and stone porch piers typical of the Craftsman bungalow are played off here against the unexpected forms of the twin-gabled porch roof.

Significance:  This is an unusual variation of the Craftsman bungalow type. In 1911, John Dudfield announced his intention of filling in the 700 block of Waverley with a number of houses, and he and G. W. Mosher soon did so, as is attested by the reports of building and similarity of the bungalows on the even-numbered side of the street.

The first occupants were Frances M. (widow of John W.) Hogan, and her daughters Irene M. and Caryl R., stenographers and bookkeepers. From 1914 to 1919, the tenants were Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Dunshee; he was listed as a mill foreman and his son, R. L. Dunshee, as a bookkeeper (for the Dudfield Lumber Co.?). During the 1920s, medical offices occupied part of the structure:  Drs. Harry C. Reynolds and E. L. Hoag, leading dentists in the community; and E. F. ("Butch") Roth. The latter was Stanford's principal athletics doctor, a pioneer orthopedic surgeon for sports injuries, and co-founder of the Palo Alto Medical Clinic. From 1936 - 1941, Fabian S. Miller, Assistant City Engineer, was a tenant, followed for nine years my Mrs. Dorothy L. De Forrest, a nurse.

About 1950, the house was subdivided into a duplex. At 734, Mrs. Alice M. Ray lived from 1955 to 1970, followed by short-term tenants. From 1955 to 1972, 736 was occupied by Clarence O. Nelson and his wife Bessie W. Nelson. The Nelsons came to the city in 1951. He had been the purchasing agent for the University of Colorado for 25 years before retiring in the city. He served for a time as president of Little House in Menlo Park.

 

entry map
entry Location map

This house was built in 1912 /1913 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect might have been Frank Delos Wolfe who also might have been the architect for 712 Waverley) and the builder was John Dudfield. The property measures 50 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/20/1911, 6/29/1912, 1/2/1914, 10/29/1914, 1/5/1915, 3/25/1916, 1/3/1921, 2/28/1921, 1/26/1924, 4/4/1972, 3/29/1973, 7/2/1973.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.