PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

661 Waverley Street — Destroyed by arson 1981

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory of 1979:

Physical appearance:   This two-story Queen Anne house with Eastlake ornament has a corner entrance marked by a second story bay window/tower. The bay window, rectangular in form, is topped by a bell-shaped roof.

Significance:  The carefully designed decoration and the unusual sculptural qualities of the entrance distinguish this inventive design.;This was the residence built in 1893 for Emil F. Weisshar. His parents were pioneers who settled in Mayfield during the 1850s. The exterior of this house shows meticulous use of the ornate decorative details which prevailed during the period: a bay with pendant-adorned brackets, gables covered with an abundance of scalloped shingles, and the modified Queen Anne tower, also shingle-covered and topped with a "chocolate drop" finial. The striking corner entrance is framed by an arch and incised (carved) brackets. A dentil is used both beneath the eaves and under the belt course between the first and second stories.

 

This house was built in 1893 and was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are not known. The property measured 50 by 105.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.