PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

2261 Waverley Street

2261 Waverley
Inventory photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This L-shaped Spanish Colonial Revival house pivots around a two-story circular entry tower cut with an ogival arch. There is an overhanging balcony at the second floor level.

Significance:  This well-composed house is a fine example of its style. Its first owner, from 1929 to 1943 was Edward T. Vandervoort and his wife Irene. Vandervoort, a member of one of the pioneer Palo Alto families, lived in the city over sixty years, was a flower shop owner, and real estate broker.

From 1944 to 1952, the owners were Paul R. and Edyth A. Manning. Mrs. Manning, too, was a member of a pioneer family, daughter of W. B. (Ben) Allen, long-time owner of the Palo alto Hardware Co. on University Avenue.

James W. Waggoner, an airline pilot, followed the Mannings from 1953 to 1966 when Phillip and Christine Pendleton acquired the house.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1929 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect builder was (E. J.) Schmaling and (E. A.) Stenbit. The property measures 67.5 by 149.2 feet.

 

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.