PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

2101 Waverley Street

inventory photo 2101
Inventory photo Photo taken September 18, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This rambling Medieval Revival house projects an almost story-book image. The architect, Carr Jones, was know for the careful workmanship and his imaginative manipulation of materials. The sculptural forms of the slate covered roof are particularly fine.

Significance:  This is a superb design by a major Bay Area architect, who, with his students, carried out the construction and craftsmanship of the house; Jones here, as often elsewhere, utilized salvaged timber, brick, and other materials wherever possible without refinishing.

The house was built for a brother of Carr Jones, Harry E. Jones, and his wife Leila. Jones was a retired officer of the U.S. Army. He sold the house after his wife died to Adelaide Hillhouse Ford, who had seen and admired the house on visits to Palo Alto from San Francisco. She was the widow of Major George Newton Ford, had been educated abroad, studied art in Italy and France, and was the author of The Fabric of the Loom. In Palo Alto she lived a solitary life until her death in 1969.

Dr. John Kieraldo (d. 1977), a surgeon with the Palo Alto Medical Clinic and clinical professor at Stanford, and his wife Marie, purchased the house in 1970.

 

full photo map
Location map

This house was built in 1934 and is a Category 1 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect / builder was Carr Jones. The property measures 119.78 by 220.64 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.