PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

2051 Waverley Street — Demolished

inventory photo 2051
Inventory photo Photo taken August 1, 2013 just before demolliltion

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This large Spanish Colonial Revival house has its main living space projected forward as an elegantly proportioned, arch-windowed pavilion. The windows have unusual and very meticulously crafted wrought-iron grilles. Although it presents a unified appearance, it actually was built in three stages over a six-year period.

The site also included a sem-attached guest house.

Significance:  This is an unusually fine example of its style. Originally, it probably was a relatively modest bungalow; the roof was raised and the structure expanded in 1926; further expansion and alterations occurred in 1929.

The first owners were James H. and Ethel Clarkson of San Mateo, who occupied the house at least part of the time between 1923 and 1929. Mrs. Clara G. Thayer (widow of Clarence Thayer) purchased it in early 1929 and brought in W. F. Klay for extensive improvements. After two years, the occupant became Balani P. Olber. Then in 1936, she turned over the house to her daughter and son-in-law, Dora T. and W. T. Chapple, who owned it until 1947.

From 1949 to 1961, J. Harold and Myrtle K. Frantz were the owners. Then Theodore and Juanita Boyett acquired the house.

 

fence corner
wood fence fence
pre demolition 2051
house map
Before demolition preparation - September 18, 2012 Location map

This house was built between 1923 and 1929 and was a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. While the architect for the first section is unknown, the builder was E. A. Snyder. The architect for the 1926 section was A. H. Knoll and the builder, H. Van Polen. The final section, built in 1929, was designed and built by William F. Klay. The property measures 148 by 181 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/4/24, 4/2/26, 2/2/29, 2/20/29, 12/25/39; Book 12 (Off. Records), p. 317, 2/9/23; Deeds Index, Clarkson, 5/20/23; Book 55 (Off. Records), p. 599, 5/19/23; Bood 361 (Off. Records), p. 252, 11/28/27; Book 444 (Off. Records), p. 310, 1/24/29; Book 30 (Off. Records), p. 98, 10/1/23 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); interviews 1985, William F. Klay, Juanita Boyett; San Francisco City Directory, Classified Section, Architects, 1924.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.