PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1808 Waverley Street

inventory photo 1808
Inventory photo Photo taken October 14, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Spanish Colonial Revival and Monterey Revival styles are combined in this two-story stucco house. Walled and landscaped gardens surround the house and enhance it.

Significance:  This is a fine example of the freedom with which Spanish Colonial revival designs mix the separate phases of the style. the first owner was Professor Gilbert M. and Mrs. Helen Smith (1929 - 1959). Smith was a botanist on the Stanford faculty from 1911 to retirement in 1950; president of various scientific societies.

Byron A. Whittaker and his wife Geraldine owned the house 1961 - 1967. Whittaker was a salesman in several Palo Alto and Santa Clara County stores, one of the original stockholders of the Stanford bank, a photographer, and an active participant in local theatre groups.

Succeeding the Whittakers for a decade were Jonathan and Helen Gifford; Gifford is an architect. The owner at the time of the Inventory was Mary K. Fry.

 

1808 map

This house was built in 1927 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was S. A. Born building Co. The property measures 96 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 10/14/27, 3/24/39, 1/1/77; Who's Who, Smith, G.M,; interview 1985, Jonathan Gifford

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.