PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1329 Waverley Street — Demolished 1987

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1984:

Physical appearance:   This low-slung Craftsman "bungalo" as the Palo Alto Times described it, with its veranda and massive roof-form, is unusually formal for the style. This quality is emphasized by the circular drive.

Significance:  This is a fine and unusually elegant version of the Craftsman mode. The early Palo Alto dentist, Dr. Charles S. McCowen, owned it from 1903 - 1949. A few years later, Albert and Mildred Donovan purchased it. They still were the owners in 1984.

 

This house was built in 1902 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Gustav Laumeister. The property measures 75 by 250 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/4/1902, 12/"40"/48.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.