PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1303 Waverley Street

inventory photo 1303
Inventory photo Photo taken April 17, 2011

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This one-story rough-surface stucco Mission Revival house is carefully and convincingly detailed. The related design is particularly skillful.

Significance:  One of Palo Alto's more interesting examples of Mission Revival design used in a unobtrusive manner. Mr. and Mrs. Francis G. Eastman, the earliers owners (1909-22), were succeeded by a number of short-term occupants until the house was purchased in 1953 by Roy and Clara Hubbs.

Kathryn Dunlevie-Hayes, the owner in 2011 had the original garage reconstructed to replicate the stucco front façade with appropriate Mission Revival details.

 

PAHA archive photo 1998 1303
garage window detail of garage
award map

This house was built in 1909 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The original architect and builder are not identified, but the garage reconstruction architect was Judith Mattingly and Dimensional Construction the contractor. The property measures 50 by 150 feet. It won a PAST Residential Preservation Award in 2011.

Sources: Palo Alto Times

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.