PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1135 Waverley Street

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 1135 Waverley
Inventory photo Photo taken June 14, 2015


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1986:

Physical appearance:   This two-story Colonial Revival house has the traditional symmetrical, central-hall plan. The fan lights in the gable end and the chimney are quite well detailed.

Significance:  As a letter-perfect example of its period revival style, this typifies the use of reminiscence as the basis for a good deal of residential construction in the city from the mid-twenties through the mid-forties, especially south of Professorville and in the Seale Addition.

It first was owned and occupied by Mrs. Pansy Baker (widow of Cleveland Baker) (1929 - 1939). From 1944 to 1967, Mr. and Mrs. Sherman L. Crary owned the home. Mrs. Crary was Elizabeth Thomas, whose childhood home had been the Hoskins Residence a half-block away on Lincoln Avenue; Mr. Crary was a steel corporation executive. The house served as a rental at the time of the Inventory; the owners were Lloyd and Shirley West.

[The architect / builder] Ralph Follmer, according to his son Frank, had had architectural training, and, unless his client had an architect, designed the buildings he constructed.



1135 Miriam Palm photo side
address map

This house was built in 1927 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect / builder was Ralph Follmer. The property measures 75 by 115 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 11/2/27, 11/10/27; interivew 1986 Ralph Follmer


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.