PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1295 Wilson Street

Originally 102 Wilson

1295 Wilson inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1984:

Physical appearance:   The symmetrical ground floor of this two-story Queen Anne house is topped by an irregular second story. The intersection of porch and bays is handled in a very unusual way. There has been some alteration to the second floor dormers.

Significance:  This is a compositionally clever example of the Queen Anne style. Lorenzo Welch, for whom it was built, moved here from Contra Costa County so that his five children could attend high school, an advantage many California towns did not provide then. The house, located in the area originally known as Alba Park, had approximately 20 acres of grounds, which were leased to Chinese produce farmers, whose main cropw was strawberries, a commodity for which Palo Alto was well known in early times.

Between 1908 and 1932 the house belonged to Mrs. W. S. Mills and Mrs. Eunice Cone. Subsequently, it was occupied by a numbe of short-term tenants until 1955-1970, when it was the residence of Condon B. Bush.

Nash and Noranne Candelaria were the owners at the time of the Inventory.

 

This house was built in 1895 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect builder was George W. Mosher. The property measures 53.5 by 108 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/6/1894, 1/2/1896, 1/30/1915; AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?, p. 31.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.