PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

460 - 476 University Avenue

inventory photo May 2015 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken May 2, 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1978, 1981, 1985:

Physical appearance:   This row of 2-story Spanish Colonial Revival shops and office units was designed with irregular outlines and setbacks to appear as several buildings. Wrought-iron balconies enliven the second floor. Birge Clark was the architect.

Significance:  This commercial row is a good example of the style and an important part of the street scape. they were designed by an important local architect. these 10 stores (436 - 452 and 460 - 476) were built by Dr. Charles H. Strub, D.D.S., to flank the Varsity Theater which he had acquired. Although they appear as 10 separate buildings, they are separated only by stud partitions which could be removed.

Note: Frank and Melanie Barry were the owners at the time of the Inventory. These shops were awarded a PAST Preservation Award in 1999.

 

close up detail
HRB photo
map
HRB photo 1985 Location map

This structure was built in 1927 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark and the builder was Wells P. Goodenough. The property measures 75 by 72.50 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 5/24/27 (illustrated), 6/28/27, 7/29/27; Birge Clark Commercial Inventory, Birge Clark revision of 1981.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.