PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

121-131 University Avenue

Roos Brothers Clothing Store

inventory photo 125 University
Inventory photo Photo taken May 2, 2015


The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981:

Physical appearance:   The façade of this two-story commercial building has brilliantly [three-color] colored terra cotta ornamentation in the classical mode. The original steel marquee has been removed. Still intact is an interior skylight of 300 Sq. ft. over the central selling space. It is surrounded by a mezzanine. [It is now numbered 125.]

Significance:  The structure is an excellent example of American commercial design of the period, and a good example of adaptive reuse. {Originally built for the Roos Brothers Clothing store, it was converted to offices and commercial space.


1986 photo map
Historic Resources Board photo ca. 1986 Location map

This structure was built in 1925 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark and the builder was Wells P. Goodenough. The 1979 remodel was done by Artunian and Kinney. The property measures 50 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 4/24/25, 5/1/25, 5/7/25; interview with Charles M. Kinney, 1981


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either or

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.