PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1870 University Avenue

Manning House

inventory photo 1870
Inventory photo Photo taken April 29, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:     This large Spanish Colonial revival has the massive wall areas and irregular fenestration of the style, treated in a direct manner that creates a simple, vigorous effect. the rectangular window above  and left of the entry, as well as the two round windows at the two gable ends, are by tiffany. the architect, Gardner Dailey, was a major Bay Area designer, as was the landscape architect, Thomas Church. Some alteration in the fenestration has occurred and the pergola across the rear is a later addition.

Significance:  An evocative example of the style from the hand of a recognized Bay Area master. The verandahs and the use of brick facings are especially effective.

The house was built for Edward M. Manning (1874 - 1958) and his wife Margaret (d. 1952). Manning, with his brother William W., were natives of St. Louis who, in 1908 in Seattle, founded the coffee and tea firm and coffee houses that bore their name and were well-known in the West until recent times. Both brothers moved to Palo Alto in 1927/28.

The Marty Brill family (Mrs. Brill was a niece) occupied the house in the 1960s and early 1970s. The owners in 1978 were Jack and Linda Gill.

Note: These photos were taken in 2012 when the house was for sale.

corner main house
brick work vent detail
garage and house
 
door map
Location map

This house was built in 1929 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Gardner Dailey and the builder was Mallock & Feasy. The property measures 230 by 258 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories;  Palo Alto Times 10/10/29 and 10/31/29; Interview April 1981 with present owner.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.